If studying to become a forensic science technician, each class has its own set of textbooks and other reading assignments. But how does the average student keep up with the latest cases and tech advancements without paying costly subscription fees? A quick search of Google can bring you loads of forensic science results, but who has the time to sift through and find the expert ones?
Now, you don’t have to. We have taken the liberty of gathering the top 25 forensic science journals and publications. Many of these have loads of free options and can connect you to the latest developments in forensics, as well as specialty areas and even science in general.
Top Forensic Science Journals and Publications
- Forensic Magazine There are six different expert columnists featured in this publication which take on everything from facility issues to forensic safety. Check out the latest news and top stories right on the homepage. They also have videos, a buyer’s guide, and much more for the forensic professional.
- Journal of Forensic Sciences If you are a member of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, you are already subscribed to this journal. However, the Wiley Online Library offers many articles and entries to visitors without a subscription. Simply click on the one you would like to read to get it as HTML or a PDF.
- National Forensic Journal Get post the past and present of forensics on this journal. It is the scholarly journal of the National Forensic Association. The archives go all the way back to 1983 and are available with a click.
- Journal of Forensic Research The JFR is an open access online journal which publishes original research, reviews, and short articles in forensic sciences on the internet which are easy to access and freely available. They even have special issues and an area where you can submit your own work.
- The Forensic Examiner Real cases, real experts, and real science are the focus of this journal. It is the official peer-reviewed journal of the American College of Forensic Examiners International. Recent articles include prescriptions and the emotional needs of law enforcement personnel.
- The Forensic Panel This online publication takes on many aspects of forensics. They include psychiatry, neuropsychology, toxicology, pathology, neuroradiology, and emergency medicine. Simply click on your choice to be taken to the most recent and relevant cases.
- Digital Investigation The Journal of Digital Investigation covers cutting edge developments in digital forensics and incident response from around the globe. Many forensic techs use it to keep on top of new technologies, useful tools, relevant research, investigative techniques, and methods for handling security breaches. Check it out on Elsevier.
- Forensic Science Communications Stop here for the official forensic journal from the FBI. Articles are written by actual experts, although content is limited. The main site also has loads more for forensic professionals.
- Global Forensic Science Today See how forensics is studied across the world here. There are free previews often in the form of five page spreads available as flash. You can also download entire issues for a small fee.
Top Specialty Forensic Science Journals and Publications
- Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine This is the official publication of the Australian College of Legal Medicine. It provides a forum for the rapid publication of topical articles on legal medicine and all clinical aspects of forensic medicine. Simply scroll down to get the most cited and most downloaded articles.
- The American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology They are part of the Pathology Network at Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Stop by the get issue highlights, such as the mechanisms and manner of death. You can even check out articles before they get printed on the site.
- Anil Aggrawal’s Internet Journal of Forensic Medicine Anil Aggrawal is the editor of this online publication. He often includes high resolution graphics as part of the journal. Check out the most current or read the ones dating all the way back to 2000.
- Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology Get forensic medicine, science, DNA, and more from the Indian perspective in this journal. You can simply hit download to begin. You can even go through the archive or submit an article of your own.
- Journal of Forensic Nursing If you are a member of the International Association of Forensic Nurses, you already have full access to this journal. Visitors can access journal information in the form of abstracts from every issue ever published. There are also other resources for forensic nurses on the site.
- Open Access Journal of Forensic Psychology Click here to get an open access journal from Forensic Psychology Unbound. Download whichever issue you like. The site also offers sections on training, legal issues, a forensic toolbox, and more.
- Digital Forensics Magazine This journal is published in support of the professional computer security industry. Learn all about how forensics is used in technological investigations with a visit. Real cases, the latest news, and more are all featured.
- Journal of Forensic & Investigative Accounting Learn how numbers and forensics combine in this journal. It illuminates important forensic accounting issues, research, promotes discussion, and fosters an exchange of ideas. In addition to the journal, you can also read more about specific cases.
- Journal of Forensic Accounting Similar to the above, this is another journal that focuses on forensic accounting. It is dedicated to the evidentiary basis of economic transactions and reporting events. Scroll down to check out the most recent articles, which currently include a special one for students.
Top Science Journals and Publications
- Forensic News Science Daily is a site that features dozens of headlines in all areas of science each day. In this special section, they focus on just the forensic side. Get articles, images, and even videos on the topic with a click.
- Scientific American You can get science news in every topic from anthropology to wind power here. Forensic professionals will also be interested in biology, chemistry, psychiatry, and other related areas. Be sure not to miss the podcasts with more.
- Science This journal is published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science. There are tons of options online including videos and slideshows. They even have webinar series with more.
- Cell Stop here to get a publication that deals with life’s smallest unit. Everything from genomics to botany is discussed. You can also get videos and snapshots on the topic.
- Pop Sci Click here to get a magazine that makes learning science fun. There is a special section for military science that discusses forensics. You can also get sections on gadgets, cars, and even DIY science.
- New Scientist Their Science in Society section features the latest advancements that have made it into the real world. They include genetics, energy, electronics, and many others. They also have blogs, a TV channel, and more.
- Science Direct Finally, if you can’t find it in the above, chances are it’s here. This is one of the largest databases of scientific journals out there. Simply type in what you’re looking for to begin.
While the above top 25 forensic science journals and publications have loads of answers for the industry, there are some questions they can’t answer. However, there are answers to questions such as average salary for forensic science technicians and program rankings available out there.
Forensic Science International publishes original contributions in the many different scientific disciplines pertaining to the forensic sciences. Fields include forensic pathology and histochemistry, chemistry, biochemistry and toxicology (including drugs, alcohol, etc.), biology (including the identification of hairs and fibres), serology, odontology, psychiatry, anthropology, the physical sciences, firearms, and document examination, as well as investigations of value to public health in its broadest sense, and the important marginal area where science and medicine interact with the law.
The journal publishes:
- Original Research Papers (Regular Papers)
- Review Articles
- Rapid Communications
- Technical Notes
- Forensic Anthropology Population Data
- Case Reports
- Preliminary Communications
- Letters to the Editor
- Book Reviews
The journal covers all legal aspects of the general disciplines listed above, as well as specialist topics of forensic interest that are included in, or are related to, these disciplines, e.g.:
- Biochemical and chemical analyses, and the forensic application of advanced analytical, physical, chemical and instrumental techniques
- Bitemark evidence
- Battered child syndrome
- Questioned documents
- Ballistics, projectiles and wounds
- Fingerprints and identification
- Tool marks
- Contact traces
- Breath analysers
- Accident investigation and mass disasters